Apr 26, 2018

Back Steps Replaced

photo credit

The girls and I have laughed about bricks and how much I like them.  Old, new, makes no difference to me I really like them.  Our back steps were beginning to have major problems with water damage and some rotting to be specific.  It was time to replace them, they were wooden and then it hit me 'Like a ton of bricks!' Dolly build new ones of brick this time!  Oh yeah and why not get 'Snoop Dog' as he calls himself to build them?  



'Snoop-Doggie-Dog' aka McAllister Brick Masonry

First meeting.  Told Chuck and I that he had done the brickwork on the church up in front of us, and several houses around in this area.  



Dirty, Moldy, Crooked Steps

These had to go that's for sure, because they were getting dangerous to come up and down them.  We all were beginning to hold onto the rails for dear life!  This couldn't be put off any longer!



Working hard



Bricks on trailer


McAllister, 'Snoop' asked if we cared if they were the exact match.  We told him to get as close as possible, otherwise it was alright with us.  We were desperate for steps.  

My OCD began to kick in and I didn't know if I could stand a mismatch.  Then I decided what the heck my daddy would have used bricks of any kind to build our steps at our ole home place.  So, I bit my lip and said oh go ahead!  

Mine were not in stock so Go For It!  I couldn't see buying a ton of bricks for a few steps, anyway.





I don't know what I was worried about the mismatched bricks for.  Look below at the little brick path that my mama laid out for me years ago.  They were a mixture of bricks that I purchased from a farm and a neighbor had given to me.  They certainly didn't match, so what was I thinking?



Continuing on with work


I will have to remove mama's brickwork and level the ground.  It has sunken from being out here a few years.  I will put them back in the same order in which she had them.  Unless, I take them up altogether.  

I can hear Dot saying to me now, "Dolly, you are too picky!"  "If you want to change this out go ahead and just do it!" 










I would have loved to film the bricklaying, because to me it is a work of art just watching them.  Figured it would be for the best if I left these men alone to do their job.






Almost Finished!







Wet Mortar



The railings and post will need replacing soon
The bottom is beginning to rot



Will have to move walkway in front to level better 
A paint touch up is needed above the top step



Finished and sun is going down




Drying nicely on this sunny morning
Now I can't wait for cleanup and planting around



The girls have picked at me so much lately about me and my mismatched bricks fobia
Catie said this pic must be of me looking at bricks!  hahaha
We had a good outing went on a day trip!
Great fun to get away!



UPDATE ON BACK PORCH WHITE CEILING!

REMEMBER I PAINTED IT WHITE NOT BLUE
THE FRONT PORCH CEILING IS PAINTED THE HAINT BLUE COLOR
THEY NOR BIRDS NEST THERE!  WINNER!

WELL, THE WASPS ARE HAVING A FIELD DAY
NESTS HAVE TO BE KNOCKED DOWN
 I MAY HAVE TO PULL OUT THE HAINT PAINT FOR HERE!
THEY SURE CAN MAKE A MESS TOO
LOOK HOW DIRTY!



Some marigolds for the vegetable garden
Zinnias, petunias, verbena for other areas


Next installment of money saving topic: Cleaning
Our small but much needed vegetable garden this year
New shrubs and flowers to go into the ground
New porch/deck flower boxes
Lots of things happening in the most fabulous time of the year!
Posts coming soon!

Enjoy the season!







4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete


HOUSE AND GARDENS