A good question isn't it? Well, do you? Where did this custom come from? I don't know, only that if you wear white after, what? People will stop and stare. We wouldn't, we couldn't wear white; Or could we?
Reasons for Wearing White or Not!
- White is cooler. That is a fact.
- White is too cool and lightweight to wear after Summer. Untrue take a look at the white sweater below:
I don't believe this is too cool to wear at anytime in our South Carolina weather
What do you think?
- White for a coat? Who would wear a white coat in the Winter? I would! I have a great looking white coat that I like to wear. I'll share it with you sometime.
I like this and would definitely wear
Coco Chanel wore white year round
- Oh No! We can't wear white after Labor Day! Why not? That is my question.
- Question is where did this fashion rule come from?
After the Civil War
- The wives of the super rich. millionaires had something to do with this fashion rule. You see it was hard to tell the difference between those individuals with 'Old Money' and the vulgar ones with "New Money". High Society made their own rules to distinguish themselves from those 'others'.
- 1894 Labor Day became a federal holiday and what a perfect time for 'High Society' to end Summer fashion. That is what they did. White became a fashion rule -no no- for them to push on all of society. I guess it worked.
- Women's magazines in the 1950's made it clear to the Middle Class that white was a color to be worn only from Memorial Day to Labor Day. credit
"You can be gorgeous at 30, charming at 40 and irresistible for the rest of your life." ~ Coco Chanel
"The best color in the world is the one that looks good on you." ~ Coco Chanel
"Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance." ~ Coco Chanel
Do what you want within reason
Be your own person
If it was good enough for Coco Chanel
It is good enough for me!
Please be in prayer for Texas and now for those in the path of Hurricane Irma headed our way. I pray as all that this one will take a turn out to sea, but that is looking highly unlikely at this point.
Psalm 46: 1-3
God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change and though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea; Though it's waters roar and foam. Though the mountains quake at its swelling pride.