Dec 15, 2016

Sweet, Salty & Cinnamon Roasted Pecans Three Recipes



Who loves pecans?  Pea-Cans or Pea-Cons, no matter how you say it, are such a part of our Southern Heritage and traditions, For generations the ladies have sat around kitchen tables talking of special recipes to have.  The very special ones that they always have at Christmas time!  Sharing or not sharing whatever the case their most favorite.  The common denominator I've always found while standing around listening to them was one special ingredient and that would be the pecan!

Then the next step would be to go find a tree and start picking them up in the Fall.  Shelling (I'm not especially fond of this) would be the next thing to do.  Oh and most importantly not selling them all to the buyers!  Yes I remember hearing this a lot, "Wonder how much they're bringing this year?" That would be the pricing which seemed to change yearly.  Then hearing, "Well the pecans didn't do well this year." or "Now this is a pecan year the trees are loaded!"

I hope you're blessed with pecan trees in your yard, if not have friends or relatives that are!  I remember Grandmother Johnson having roasted pecans especially at Thanksgiving or Christmas time. No, I didn't get her recipe, if any relatives out there have it please share with me.  Today I share a simple, well three simple recipes!



Grandmother Goldie


The best pecans to roast are the fresh ones.  The ones you pick up and shell from underneath a tree. The pecans you find in a store are definitely not the same as fresh.  The taste is not there.  Oh one important tip be sure to taste your fresh as well because if they aren't good roasting probably won't improve on the flavor.


Butter Salted Roasted Fresh Pecans
Preheat Oven 225 degrees F

2 cups pecans
1/4 cup butter (or 1/2 stick)
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. salt (I used 1/2 tsp but then again I like salt)
Frying pan 10" will do
Baking Sheet or Jelly Roll Pan

Melt butter over medium low heat.  Add pecans stirring well to coat every pecan. Sprinkle salt over pecans.  Stir well then add to greased or sprayed baking sheet making sure they are in a single layer.
Bake for 1 hour stirring every 20 minutes or so.
Remove from oven and cool

This makes a small amount but you can tell pretty soon how your family or guests will like them.



Sweet & Salty Roasted Pecans
Preheat oven to 225 degrees F

2 cups pecans
1/4 cup (or 1/2 stick) butter
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cream
Frying pan 10" will do
Baking Sheet or Jelly Roll Pan
Silicon Mat or Parchment Paper

Melt butter over medium low heat.  Add brown sugar and mix well in melted butter.  Add white sugar mixing well.  Add pecans stir coating every pecan well.  Sprinkle salt over the top then stir.  Add cream and stir mixing well.
Pour all into greased, parchment lined or pan lined with silicone baking mat.  Separate all pecans so they are baking in a single layer.

Bake stirring every 20 minutes or so and being sure to separate into single layer until done.  This will take 60 to 70 minutes
Remove from oven sprinkle with a pinch or two of sugar and cool.
Separate if sugar has them stuck together.



Sweet Cinnamon Roasted Pecans
Preheat oven to 225 degrees F

2 cups pecans
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg white
1 Tbs. water
Baking Sheet or Jelly Roll Pan


Mix sugar, cinnamon and salt in a very small bowl.
Beat egg white with water In medium bowl.
Pour pecans into egg white mixture and using spoon or hands make sure each pecan is coated well.
Remove pecans leaving excess egg white/water mixture in bowl.
Place in another dry large bowl.
Pour dry ingredients over the pecans, a little at a time mixing well after each addition.  Coat each well.
Spray or grease baking pan
Pour pecans onto pan in a single layer for even baking.
Bake checking and stirring easily every 15 minutes.
Bake time is 60-70 minutes
Remove and cool completely.

Tips:
Fresh pecans can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 9 months in air tight containers.
Stored in the freezer they can last up to 2 years in freezer bags or containers.


Store all  Roasted Pecans in a tightly lidded container. 
They will last for about a week



I know you will think these are not enough when you start eating them.
You may need to double the recipe after trying and deciding which recipe you like best
You may like them all and have the variety
People will comment as to which they prefer
Conversations will occur!
They are right tasty!


Oh, the Christmas Memories!

Enjoy!




Join me at Simple Homestead Blog hop 186





5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipes. My FIL used to always bring me a big bag of pecans from down south when he came home. Oh! How I loved getting those. We can only get the ones from the store here--but. to me. any pecan is better than NO pecan. lol My one son loves them, too. My husband does not like nuts- I think HE is NUTS to NOT LIKE nuts....
    I like the sweet/salty ones on top of a salad....so very good- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Diana,
      Thank you! Yes I do agree a store pecan is sure better than no pecan! Sorry guess I got a little too picky on here! Don't tell the hero I know what you mean (just kidding). My Catie is allergic to them so I have to make sure she has not a trace of one anywhere near what she is eating. Horrible since everything Christmasy I cook has pecans in them...Thanks for reminding me how good they are on salad because Chuck and I just ate one! Love ya girl Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family!

      Delete
  2. Oh yum! I would have never thought cream. Maybe that is the secret ingredient! I know West Virginia is considered the south but nothing is better that those deep south states and gathering pecans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginger Dawn! Oh yeah just a touch of cream makes it better. I hope you and the family are having a great time getting ready for Christmas! Love ya and Merry Christmas!
      Dolly

      Delete
    2. I always wanted to go to West Virginia and maybe some day I will and guess who I'm gonna look up?

      Delete


HOUSE AND GARDENS