Aug 31, 2016

Glamis Castle English Rose




I purchased four very beautiful English Roses called Glamis Castle from Heirloom Roses in 2015.  I really like the own root roses and think this one will be a winner.  Whew, it's been so hot this summer in South Carolina and I have to admit my gardens have gone without the care and grooming they deserve.  Yes, I'm guilty of that but I wanted to share these young roses with you today.



I do like the roses that I get from Heirloom they may be somewhat small but extremely healthy and seem to grow and thrive in the hot, humid weather we have here.  I might add without much care and I am especially grateful for that.

Heirloom Roses Photograph

If you'll notice in the photo about you can see the difference in sizes that you can order from them.  I have ordered both sizes and find that the difference in the prices doesn't mean as much to me as the size.  Since, I find they are slower growing I like the larger size.  You know I may be a little impatient to see growth and blooms.  




The roses are packaged very securely and arrive very quickly.  I ordered these in the Spring of 2015. The last photo above was taken just after setting out in the pot. You can learn more about the roses and how to plant at your planting time here



I love that the plants are so healthy when they arrive.  You may remember that I've ordered from this company in years past and they are still living and thriving.  I lost two but it was due to my own negligence.  So that was my fault not theirs.





Garden was a bit of a mess with me moving and potting many things.  I thought this row would give somewhat of an illusion of a fence open but still the look.  This is the White Rose Garden.


2016


This poor quality photograph was taken on an extremely hazy day. I include it to give you an idea as to how the lineup is in the rose garden. It was taken this month and you can see I have lots of gardening to do.  They look a little bad due to my lack of care in this heat, but they are blooming their little heads off.




















Just ignore the black spot if you will....














Amazing isn't it the way the buds vary from a medium to light pink and then bloom in white to off white blooms.











Isn't she a beauty?  The color in the photo appears to have a peach tone but in reality it is a creamy white.  It is a continual bloomer, which is a plus for me. This truly is an understated beauty and I think every rose lover should have at least one in their garden.

Glamis Castle is named after the childhood home of Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother of England and the legendary setting of Shakespeare's play 'MacBeth'.  The rose has an old rose character and is pure white with a strong myrrh fragrance.  Read more about it and you can also order if you wish here.

I hope you enjoyed seeing this beautiful English rose which was introduced in 1992 and is very beautiful.

I purchased these roses but from time to time I do reviews on products that I feel will be of interest to my readers.  This is one and my Review Results for Heirloom Roses is Excellent!


14 comments:

  1. Your rose is beautiful,,, I am not successful with roses... you have a nice garden area

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Nancy I sure thank you because it needs some work has become overgrown with grass and weeds...If these particular roses didn't do so well I would have quit a long time ago. I have no luck with many of the Tea Roses.

      Delete
  2. I like that you can order small ones. We have such rocky ground that it's easier to start small than large if I have to build up soil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that is a good thing. I imagine it must be hard with such rocky ground. We have flat sandy land here that has to be built up and constant weeds/grasses that just won't go away..otherwise it is alright. I don't envy the working with rocks.

      Delete
  3. A very lovely rose, viewing your roses from time to time makes me want to try again for beautiful roses. Thanks for the link to heirloom I shall try theirs. Wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, thank you so much. I'll tell you the ones that seem to survive around me are these I share. Over the years I've spent many back breaking hours tending to and doting on certain roses. I've given up most of the tea roses once my very favorite type because I simply can't grow them well. I do wish you luck and think you will have a gorgeous rose garden!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! Do you ever have problems with deer or other critters? I did not know that Glamis Castle was the childhood home of Queen Elizabeth. That was really cool to learn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ginger Dawn!
      I don't anymore. When we first moved here I did. They would come into the yard and eat some of my plants but they stayed away from the thorny roses. I didn't know that either. I truly think I should have been a researcher because I like to have the information behind things. Thanks girl good to hear from you always!

      Delete
  5. The only thing that grows here is Pinon and Ponderosa Pine, and they grow half as tall as expected and take twice as long to do so. It is dry and super windy, which dries out plants daily. Do you think these roses would survive here? I hate to ask the company, because I've done that many times in the past only to be told, "Yes," just so they make the sale. I've not got a lot of money, and I've spent most of it trying to grow flowers because I LOVE them. I've been without flowers since moving here 10 years ago. - Are those pine needles you have spread around your roses? Why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sydney, I certainly would not know if they would do well there. Have you thought about putting some in large pots? I have these in the huge pots and they are thriving. You'd have to water often but on the plus side they could be moved to a sunny spot. Do you have a sunny spot among those pines? You need plenty of sun to have them bloom well. Yes you are correct I do have pine needles (straw) around them. I use it as a mulch because it is plentiful here and holds the moisture in well. Without it they pots dry out very quickly.
      I hope you get the blooms you love for all flowers.

      Delete
  6. I'm in the windy zone. As a result nothing grows, and I only have 1 small pinon tree. I have total Southern exposure, but at 8,000 ft., the sun is brutal. Also, I'm on 2.5 acres 3 miles from my mailbox, and those 3 miles are not roads. They are 2-track paths. Needless to say, my property isn't graded and is lumpy. At 71, moving large pots with dirt is not likely. When I moved here in May of 2006, I planted 2 lilacs and 2 peonies (gifts from friends). The lilac I planted on the West (getting only evening sun) has grown to about 3 ft. without ever being watered (I forget about it). The other lilac and 2 peonies were planted on the North side. They managed to get to 6" each year, but seemed to have to start over again every Spring. Two years ago, we had nothing but rain, and they grew to 5 ft.! They bloomed this year (year 10)!!! They had been watered religiously..... I'm wondering if they would survive on the South side with a 2-sided wind/sun lattice protection wall....????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness the things you have to work around. I wish I knew what to say and I can't imagine getting to your mailbox is quite a trek. Here I sweat 1/4 mile to mile straight shot. You do know that now when I grumble I will think of you and your rocky uneven trek to yours. You tell a good story because I can almost see your place in my mind. Maybe you could enjoy some houseplants or something. I seem to kill those off myself. You might be onto something with the South side and protection wall. I hope it works let me know I'm interested.

      Delete
  7. Love roses and have been looking for a couple white and a red one to add to my rose garden. It is very hot as ND dry here. Is the Glamis Castle a white or cream rose?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan,
      The best way I can describe it to you is both. If you'll look back on the post all of the blooms are from different plants. Some are a stark white and some a little creamy white but the conclusion when looking at this is it is a white rose. It is described on the rose site as white and has a beautiful scent.

      Delete


HOUSE AND GARDENS