photo & recipe credit: Christmas with Southern Living 2006
A splash of rum and ginger-infused broth makes these thick-sliced carrots some of the best we've tried.
Oxmoor House JUNE 2006
- Yield: 10 servings
- Prep time:35 Minutes
- Total:1 Hour, 2 Minutes
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 (2-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into 6 pieces
- 4 pounds carrots, cut diagonally into 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup spiced rum or dark rum (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Combine first 3 ingredients in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Add carrots; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 12 minutes or until almost tender. Drain; discard ginger slices. Set carrots aside.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, minced ginger, and garlic; sauté 2 to 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Add reserved carrot, salt, and pepper; sauté 3 more minutes. Stir in rum, if desired, and vanilla; cook 1 minute.
We love these carrots! I however substitute rum with rum flavoring.
Part of our Hibiscus House Christmas Traditions & Memories Menu
I hope you enjoy as much as we do.