Dec 5, 2011

Genolia's Applesauce Raisin Nut Cake


This recipe was handed down to me by my mother-in-law, Genolia. 





I moved into a new home in November in the late seventies. My Carly was born prematurely a short while later.  She was a tiny baby and had to be watched a little more closely than the average newborn. Needless to say I didn't get much sleep for quite a while.  Our home was next door to my mother in law Genolia.  She was such a sweet person and such a wonderful cook.

This particular time she had baked and given me this cake. My sister Shirley would come to help me with the new baby and we would eat that cake like crazy! She and I both would get up even more just to grab a piece of that cake and drink a Pepsi. After all we were keeping close watch on the new born anyway!  

Then and there our love for this cake became evident. It has over these many years become a favorite of my side of the family too.

You can bake this cake up to 2 weeks in advance.  It becomes more moist with time.  Wrap it really good with wax paper and then with aluminum foil. Be sure to seal tightly and it will become a Christmas favorite for you too. Heck a year round favorite!




INGREDIENTS

1 ½ cups vegetable or canola oil
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup self-rising flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups applesauce or 3 cups raw apples peeled and cut fine
1 tablespoon black walnut flavoring
1 cup raisins if desired
1 cup pecans or walnuts chopped finely if desired


INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease and flour tube pan
Mix first 9 ingredients as listed
Toss raisins and nuts in little flour to coat then fold them into batter.
Bake 1 to 1 ½ hours or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.


 The cake is still very delicious even if you eat it immediately. 

Enjoy






Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Dolly, so glad you found me, I have been a follower of yours for sometime. Love your home! I LOVE to cook, and to try new recipes. This cake sounds scrumptous, and I just may have to try it. Did you see the one on the cover of Southern Living, the cream cheese, apple bundt cake with praline icing? It has both apples and apple-sauce, and the longer it set, the moister it got. I always thought it was the apple-sauce that did it. The raisins sound wonderful in this one, so I am sticking this in my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Teresa! Yes I did and want to try it. I love every recipe it seems from Southern Living. I've been following you too and love your blog for sure. Thanks for stopping by..We'll be talking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks yummy! I love that you include a pic of your m.i.l. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is Jamie...she was a very sweet woman. Glad you stopped by. come back anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great and pretty. Thank you for including us this cake! Thank you for highlighting me sweet lady...do I go to your blog, or a certain date party to grab my bottom? Big hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete


HOUSE AND GARDENS