Aug 13, 2016

Cauliflower & Cheese Leftovers? Make Cauliflower in Cheese Sauce.


Do you like cauliflower?  I do but for some strange reason don't have it enough.  I love it raw, steamed and if I'm feeling extravagant I love it in a rich homemade cheese sauce. 

Recently we had the parties as you may know, with lots of party snacks.  I really like fresh vegetables and love serving the vegetable trays with homemade dips and sauces.  As usual, I'd way over prepared so something had to be done with those.

The reason for today's simple time honored sauce recipe to be served with the leftover cauliflower and broccoli if you have any of that left as well.




Place your cauliflower in water and steam until crisp tender. Drain and place in a pretty serving bowl.





Depending on the amount of vegetables you have adjust your sauce accordingly.  I happened to have quite a lot here in the fridge so I made the following recipe.

Place 2 tablespoons of fresh butter into a large sauce pot.  Melt over medium-low heat.  Using a whisk add 2 tablespoons of self rising flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few dashes of black or white pepper.  Add 1/2 tsp. dried mustard.   Whisk together until smooth.  Heat through for 1-2 minutes whisking constantly to prevent burning and thicken.  

Add 2 cups whole milk whisk to mix thoroughly and until thickened to make a smooth sauce.  It may take a few minutes but using the whisk will make a delicious smooth sauce.  

When Thickened turn heat off and add 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese. Stir to melt, whisk to smooth.  
I used the cubes of cheese that I had cut for the tray.







Pour cheese sauce over cauliflower and serve immediately.  Delicious comfort food.  


You say you don't eat dairy then mash this cauliflower add salt & cracked pepper and a little extra virgin good quality olive oil and you have a delicious side with very few calories.

Be sure to use your clean left overs from parties in another recipe if you like and prevent waste while serving your family a little variety.


I had leftover grilled hot dogs so they went into the Cowboy Beans for beanie weinees (kids loved that).  The leftover chili went into some kidney and pinto beans for Chili n Beans.  










2 comments:

  1. Wow, I can't wait to try this recipe, it looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ivory,
      It is one of the easiest sauces to make and always delicious! Let me know how you like it!

      Delete


HOUSE AND GARDENS