Feb 29, 2016

Homemade Regular Laundry Detergent/Soap





Today I'm sharing a regular laundry cleaner.  This works well for laundry that isn't extremely dirty, greasy or ground -in. A simple color safe add in will make a batch that will have a little stronger detergent.  Join me today and if you haven't done so in the past maybe you'll decide to make your own.  Make in bulk and you can save time and lots of money in the long run.

Printable Link

Ingredients

6 cups Arm & Hammer Washing Soda.  You can see info here
4 cups 20 Mule Team Borax
2 cups Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
3 to 5 cups Laundry Soap of your choice.  Some soap choices here
(If you have hard water you may need 5 cups of soap if not 3 may work well)
Optional:  5 CAPs of the scented laundry crystals

Regular Laundry Detergent Plus

To make Regular Plus (added fabric safe bleach)
Add 1 cup Oxi-Clean


NOTES **

It is most important that you grate/chop/pulse until your detergent is a powder.  The most complaints I've read about homemade laundry detergents/soaps is that they don't dissolve.  It has to dissolve even in cold water so you will have a clean and budget friendly detergent. If you experiment with soaps for your water quality and machine I know you will make a successful laundry cleaner.

I usually like to make some with and some without the Oxi-Clean.

You've probably already read the essential and tips post if not the link is above.


Wear a face mask and maybe glasses, because if you are mixing up a lot like myself with allergies you will need them.



Instructions
Grate your soap measure and set aside
Measure your washing soda and borax set aside
Using your food processor add some washing soda, borax and grated soap, process until your soap is mixed with the other ingredients and is a powder.
Do this in several batches.
In large container pour the processed mix, add the baking soda and if you wish the laundry crystals, stir well.

Add to a lidded and labeled container for use.  Place a scoop, preferably one that will measure out what you need to save time when you do the laundry.

I have a top loading machine and use a 1/4 cup because that is what it takes to clean my laundry.
You experiment with your needs for your washing machine and laundry.  I hope you find your mixture that will work good for you. HE Machines start with 2 Tbs to see how it works for you.


Coming Soon my most favorite Heavy Duty Detergent
.

Until next time,











4 comments:

  1. Hi Dolly. I love making my own laundry detergent. I started about 2 years ago and the recipe is very similar to yours. I have found that when I a somewhere else and there is commercial laundry detergent in use that it really bothers my nose! I did not notice that before but now it is profound. I think it is incredible that once you start removing some of the junk in the purchased products that your body knows when it is exposed! Looking forward to your heavy duty recipe as I only have a basic one that I use. Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie,
      I know that is the truth! I hadn't even thought of that but it's true! Causes the sinuses to hurt. Thanks for sharing. Others that haven't made their own would love it for a safer and less expensive detergent. I'll be posting the other soon. I hope you have a good one too sweet friend.

      Delete
  2. Thanks! I want to see your heavy duty soap too for times when we have been digging in the garden or my husband has been working on vehicles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To tell you the truth I use the Heavy Duty most of the time. Y'all are like us outdoorsy and that is what we need. Those laundry soaps are great on grease. My mother in law gets some of mine to treat her husbands grease.

      Delete


HOUSE AND GARDENS