Feb 7, 2016

Gentle Wash Super Concentrated Laundry Liquid




Hello, I am in the process of bringing my cleaning combinations over here to the main website from Dolly is Cooking.  I want that website to be for recipes only those and the occasional product review.

Today I am working on a substitute for Woolite which I use for my gentle and hand wash items.


I found Jillee of One Good Thing by Jillee had made a Super-Concentrated No Grate Laundry Detergent with Dawn Dishwashing Liquid.  I thought well why not make a super-concentrated gentle wash combination.




Super Concentrated Gentle Wash Laundry Liquid

1/2 cup Ivory Dishwashing Liquid
1/2 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
1/2 cup 20 Mule Team Borax
4 cups Hot Water plus more cold water to finish filling the container.
funnel
90 oz. empty container


Instructions

I used a large dishwashing liquid bottle and the opening is very small.  I mixed in this manner
Mix all except water in a large bowl
Add 4 cups hot water to bowl and stir dissolving the powders
Using a funnel pour into bottle
Finish filling with cold water slowly leaving a little space maybe an inch or so to enable mixing together after you've placed the lid on.

Use 1/4 cup for a full load of laundry.  Decrease for HE Machines and for smaller loads accordingly.
Use cold water wash.  Shake before using to mix because it will settle.






I  made another for hand washables which may be somewhat gentler.  I'll use and let you know how it works.






I substituted Kirk's Original Castile Liquid Soap for the Ivory Dishwashing Liquid.

This I have used in my gentle wash and hand wash cycle of my washing machine, and I can tell you it works very well.  I am very happy with the way the hand washables feel and look.
Generally you don't have super dirty or stained items that you will be hand washing but should that come about I will let you know how this performs.


Update!

The Gentle Wash with Ivory Liquid works extremely well!
The Gentle Wash with Castile Liquid Soap works extremely well!
Both can be used in baby laundry as well.  The Ivory Liquid may be a bit stronger than the Castile Soap but both should work.


Until next time,









4 comments:

  1. I have the ingredients to make my own but have not yet. I guess I am saving for a rainy day! Do you know if it makes any difference between having hard water or using a softener?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy,
      My water is well water and a little hard and I did use a fabric softener. I do use softener when I use the hand wash cycle of my machine otherwise I use Sandra's wool balls. They work great in loads you dry. I couldn't tell you if this would work on anything really dirty. I use my heavy duty detergent that I make in those. I wash some hand washables without softener and let you know of any differences.

      Delete
  2. I may have to try this. I never heard of Ivory dishwashing liquid. Is it like dawn or palmolive dish soap?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a dishwashing liquid and seems to be gentle.

      Delete


HOUSE AND GARDENS