Jan 1, 2012

Collards, Black Eyed Peas, Hog Jowl and Cornbread




You probably know especially if you live in the South that we have certain things on our New Year's Day Menu.  It is one of our Southern Traditions handed down through the generations.  This menu must have Collard Greens, Black-Eyed Peas, Rice, Pork of some kind, Cornbread and lots of Sweet Tea on our Menu.  

This post has instructions as to how we cook the peas and there will be links at the bottom for the other foods.  


Black eye Peas & Hog Jowl

  1. Look through your bag of dried peas.  I have found rocks in mine before which could cause some damage to your teeth.
  2. Wash and then soak your peas in a bowl of water overnight. I am going to put mine into a crockpot tonight because I soaked them today.
  3. In the morning Season with salt and pepper
  4. You may put a piece of hog jowl, fatback or streak of lean in the pot to cook with them, or slice and fry or bake the hog jowl, or fatback just like you would cook bacon. 
  5. Use a little of the pan drippings to season the peas.

Another Method of Cooking

If you forget to soak your black eye peas do what my mama does.
1.) Cover peas with water in the pot, bring to a boil, cover, turn off eye... then
after they stop boiling.
2.) Bring to boil again cover turn off stove eye, ...then
after they stop boiling...
3.)Bring to a boil for the third time, cover turn off stove eye...then
After the peas stop boiling, lift lid test for doneness,  then season with salt, pepper, dripping etc. your choice.  They are usually pretty good and it is an easy way to cook them.


You must have Collards go to this link: Genolia's Collard Recipe, Dolly's Collard Recipe or Cooking Up A Mess Of Greens

Some form of Pork is served.  I can remember my grandma Cora baking a fresh pork ham or roast for the menu. Sometimes I have a baked smoked ham, a pork loin or roast, even baby back ribs.
We had fried Fat Back a lot and sometimes mama would bake a smoked ham. In later years she would just fry up some Hog Jowl and we learned to eat that.
Ham Hock, or a few pieces of Hog Jowl can be cooked in the peas or You can slice and fry the Hog Jowl.  This hog jowl tastes like a cross between fatback, streak of lean and bacon. It does take a while to fry it done so I do this in an electric frying pan, which keeps the temperature and doesn't have to be watched as closely.  I now like it.

Then you must have Cornbread baked in a pan or Lace Cornbread fried in an iron skillet
lace cornbread. Here is a recipe for Lace Cornbread

Another similar Lace Cornbread Recipe is Cora's Hoe Cake Cornbread


Tradition has it that having pork is for looking ahead in the new year.  A pig roots forward and we want to look forward to the new year.  The black-eyed peas are for the coins/pennies and the greens stand for the green money.  That's what I've always been told anyway.






Happy New Year!




8 comments:

  1. A classic tradition. Thanks for sharing your recipe. :)
    Happy New Year!
    ~Liz

    P.S. Thanks for following my blog I am following you back now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love following your blog and comments, so interesting and educational. Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz and Glenda Happy New Year to you both! Thank you both so much for the sweet comments and welcome to Hibiscus House..

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous New Years Day meal! Looks amazing! I'm a new follower of yours! Your blog covers a very diverse variety! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well thank you Karen Lynn and welcome. It makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mouth is watering, I miss grandma's cooking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too Ronnie! She sure could cook! Happy New Year to you! xoxo Dolly

      Delete


HOUSE AND GARDENS