Oct 6, 2011

Charles Street Garden & Charles Street Garden Suite Bed & Breakfast



I met Mr. Hoover and his sister at the Pee Dee State Farmers Market Fall Festival.
They were extremely nice and helpful.  Introducing Charles Street Garden Nursery and Charles Street Garden Bed & Breakfast.



I love the way his Japanese Iris looked so healthy. The flowers appeared to be gorgeous from the photos. They specialize in beardless iris.

Hibiscus House has the sandiest soil. I had no idea that we could grow them here. I told Mr. Hoover that we didn't have any water to use them.  We hope to have a pond one day. He said that you do not have to have water to grow them.  He told me of a way I could have them.  I did purchase one, it is called Peacock Dance.  Mr. Hoover told me that if I liked them he would meet me in Asheville with more. Now that is customer service. Mr. Hoover was kind enough to explain how to grow Japanese Iris.

DIY for Growing Japanese Iris

  • Dig a little dip or trench
  • Line the bottom with black plastic
  • Poke holes in the bottom for drainage
  • Put some well amended soil in the spot
  • Use cow manure or horse manure which is the best thing for them...
  • Plant iris
  • Water well, keep watered well
  • Put loads of mulch on top to keep the soil moist

Charles Street Garden Nursery has supplied irises to retail nurseries and landscapers in both Western North Carolina and upstate South Carolina for over 15 years.  They have also provided native irises for projects at the North Carolina Arboretum, the LEED Southern Living Showcase House at Furman University, and the J. C. Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh as well as for projects undertaken by North Carolina agricultural extension agents in a number of North Carolina counties. Our non-native irises, particularly the Japanese irises (Iris ensata) have been included in many home gardens throughout the two Carolinas.

I am thinking a trip up to Asheville doesn't sound too bad. In fact it sounds pretty good, especially this time of year. Thank you Walter for all of the interesting facts and information. Guess what?  He and Sherry have a bed and breakfast, sounds even better.


Charles Street Garden, Saluda NC


Walter & Sherry Hoover, Proprietors
Charles Street Garden Suite
Bed & Breakfast
76 Charles Street
P.O. Box 337
Saluda, NC 28773
(828) 749-5846

I like to share what would interest me and hopefully you.  I met Walter and his sister at the farmers market. He is the vendor where I purchased the Japanese Iris. While talking with them I soon realized that they were genuinely nice people. 
He told me that he also ran a Bed and Breakfast too. I love a Bed and Breakfast. They are so homey and in fact a lot more luxurious than a motel room. I think it is the personal touches. I have to say I have not been but sure would like to go.

Charles Street Garden Suite is a guest accommodation located in Saluda, a small historic town in the mountains of Western North Carolina. 
This single guest suite is situated on the grounds of Charles Street Garden, one block from Main Street and adjacent to the little 19th Century Episcopal Church. 
Charles Street Garden has been featured in the series "A Gardener's Diary" on HGTV Network
It has had many rave reviews.  The Garden is a certified National Wildlife Federation Backyard Habitat
I think the fact that it is located along with the garden is a wonderful addition and one I wish to see.






















AREA ATTRACTIONS

Saluda is located 30 minutes from Asheville, 10 minutes from Hendersonville and Tryon.

.  Biltmore House
.  Carl Sandburg's Home
.  Fine Arts and Crafts
.  Flatrock Playhouse
.  North Carolina Arboretum
.  Festivals
.  Blue Ridge Parkway
.  Hiking Trails
.  Waterfalls
.  Kayaking
.  Whitewater Rafting
.  Cycling
.  Equestrian Events
.  Riding Stables
.  Golfing
.  Fishing

Chuck and I love Asheville and Hendersonville so sounds like a winner to me....will let you know if we go...if you go before me let me know...

Lets Go To The Mountains!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment


HOUSE AND GARDENS