Sep 8, 2011

Simple Living


You know life has a way of changing and it might not be anything at all like you imagined it would be. I have always been a Southern girl living in rural South Carolina, and loving every minute of it. I came from a family of five children. We were all a handful and were like doorsteps one right after the other. 


As a child I remember loving everybody and everything. It did not have to be the finest things just anything.  I thought then just as I do now, that God has given us so much to be thankful for and that is what we should do.



 We were not a wealthy family but we were so blessed. My father had been in WWII a hero to me always,  In later years I was to find out he and all of those WWII era soldiers were indeed heros. He had not been out of the service for many years when he married my mother.  She was a beautiful woman with long dark hair and blue eyes. She still is beautiful. We moved around a lot back then. This is one very small house that is now falling down that we lived in for a short while. Recently the property owners cut the timber off of the land and this is what we saw.  This little two room house with a fireplace in each room holds so many fond memories for me.  Notice the tree it is so unusual how it grew around the house.


 

The little house caused a little stir because people in the community did not know it even existed until the trees were cut down. People were wondering about this cute litte house and who could have lived there. They were saying there is something special about this house and they were right. We loved living there little or not.






This is me at 5 years old and in the first grade. We were living in this house then.  We were only here for a short time, but I have such fond memories.  The walls had no nails in them I think they were glued together. There was a screened in porch on the front.  I also remember a hand pump.

Daddy built boats in the yard and it reminded me of him building those boats when Gibbs on NCIS was always working on the boat.












I am standing in one of daddy's hand built boats. This picture was taken at this little house.



 1958 these were our dogs then "Tippy" and "Spot"
Taken at this little house




My Uncle, my Grandmother, & my Daddy



Daddy's birthday cake
I remember it was at this little home.


You see I am the oldest and remember living in this little house. A few of my siblings, well one in particular, would rather forget they lived in this tiny little house. It is because they were infants and too tiny to remember the fun. 

I would have tea parties outside with my little sisters.  The next oldest brother would act like he was Daniel Boone out with a tricyle and coon skin cap hunting for bear.  Frankly I think there were bear there along with many other animals and snakes.

I remember a wonderful Christmas spent here. I remember we hung socks on the fireplace. When we had stockings in later years, we did not use them. The socks were more fun so we stuck to that and loved every minute of it, proper or not.

I thank God for our childhood and for all of his blessings.  This little house is just so very special to me.


             The tiny house falling down.   Memories!



There is beauty in everything if you take the time to look.




You may see an awful brick mess.
I see stockings hung and beautiful fire. Remember roasting marshmallows on a coat hanger.


Grandmother and Granddaddy lived on that farm. They lived in the white plantation house with the wrap around porch. A beautiful home it was indeed. That is why we lived in the little tenant house for a short while. I love it.  



Memories last forever.







10 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing this sweet story Dolly. We were all born with a need for family love and social connections. When those needs are met we enjoy a better community where we can live in harmony, safety and prosperity. Out of a good conscience,we will then work together for a better community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Where was the plantation house?

    bsaverance@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks BBD!
    Betty the white house was on the dirt road...Huggins Road. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great story Dolly. I am just now reading it. I wondered too where it was. Hugo did a number on many of those old tenant homes. It amazes me how much our lives parallel each others. There were five us too, and we lived in a similar house on my grandfather's place, and yes we had a dog named Tippy at the same place.

    I think it is cool to look back and see how far we have come. Some of my very best and happiest moments came from those times too.

    Is the white house there still? They used to make those little houses on site with portable saw mills. Many a large family was raised in 2 or 3 room houses like that.

    Again, thanks for sharing your great stories!

    Debbie H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather,
      I thank you so much for the very sweet comments! Hugs to you. It is amazing the similarities we have. You lucky girl from ocean shores of California! Dolly

      Delete
    2. Debbie H it is nice to know someone else has memories like mine. Yours sounds sweet and you are right so similar to mine...

      Delete
  5. I think this is one of the sweetest/bestest posts I've read today. I loved reading about your memories in that old house. Yes, I think it's adorable, even in it's present state. It would be really cool to see it all fixed up again :) :) It also made me think of my own families memories and special houses that my daddy loved as a kid :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather,
    I thank you so much for the very sweet comments! Hugs to you, you lucky girl from ocean shores of California! Dolly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Dolly,
    This is a lovely post. I think it's incredible that you have so many wonderful memories of that little home, and were able to see that little place again. You sure were a beautiful child too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Heidi! It is so funny how some little something, a place, a song, a food can bring back memories you didn't even realize were there.
    Oh my gosh such sweet compliments thank you. Love you from afar girl!

    ReplyDelete


HOUSE AND GARDENS